The goal of dentistry has always been to help keep our teeth healthy and intact for as long as possible. So, recommending a procedure like a tooth extraction is not something we ever take lightly.
If you come to our Moorhead dental office with a decayed, infected, or badly damaged tooth, our dentist will do everything he can to save it. However, there are times when removing a tooth is the safest, most sensible option and the optimal choice for preserving your general oral health.
When Do You Recommend Tooth Extraction?
Dr. Andrew Atchison may recommend tooth extraction if:
- A tooth is unsalvageable due to extensive decay or damage
- Gum disease has loosened a tooth.
- A root infection or dental abscess has advanced too far to treat with a root canal.
- A tooth has broken off below the gumline, and we can't save it
- A wisdom tooth is causing pain or crowding surrounding teeth
If our dentist in Moorhead recommends tooth extraction, you can be confident that he will help you understand why and how it will benefit your long-term oral health. By sharing your digital x-rays and intraoral images with you, he can point out the problem with the tooth and explain why it’s in your best interest to remove it.
Will My Tooth Extraction Hurt?
At Northland Dental, we understand that a procedure like a tooth extraction can bring up many emotions. Nobody wants to go through the process, especially when losing a tooth they thought they would have forever.
Our dental team is very sensitive to your feelings and apprehensions and will provide gentle, supportive treatment and make the process as stress-free as possible. We use powerful local anesthetics and won’t commence any work until we are sure that your mouth is numb so that you won’t feel any pain.
We also offer safe sedation with nitrous oxide (laughing gas) that helps you drift through your procedure, so please let us know if this is something you’re interested in.
What Happens after Tooth Extraction?
Before you leave our Moorhead dental office, our general dentist will provide post-op care instructions that you should follow to make your recovery as smooth as possible.
- Bite down gently on the gauze pad we provide for an hour after the procedure, then replace until bleeding stops.
- Use a cold compress to reduce swelling, and keep your head elevated as much as possible for 24 hours.
- Follow a soft diet after bleeding stops, and you remove the gauze pad.
- Don’t rinse, spit, smoke, or drink through a straw as they can dislodge the protective clot that’s forming and cause a painful condition called dry socket.
As always, we are just a phone call away if you have any questions or concerns.
Stress-Free Tooth Extraction in Moorhead, MN
Nobody wants to hear the news that they need a tooth extraction, but you couldn’t find a more supportive or caring group of professionals than those here at Northland Dental.
If you are currently in pain and think you may need an emergency tooth extraction, please call our Moorhead dental office so we can help you.